2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 tsps. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. dried mango powder
1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
2 tbsps. butter or shortening, softened (if using shortening, add 1/2 tsp salt)
pinch of salt
about 2 1/2 tbsps. water
You can buy Garam Masala on my shop page.
If Samosa is not crispy, bake for 20 minutes in a single layer in 250 degree F oven, works well for leftovers too.
- Rinse potatoes, drain and place in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add salt, cover and cook in microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Add peas, oil, coriander, cumin, and pepper flakes.
- Cover, cook on high for another 3 minutes.
- Set aside covered for 5 minutes (potatoes will continue to cook).
- Add mango powder, Garam Masala. Mix and cool.
- In the meantime, in a medium bowl, mix butter into the flour until it looks like bread crumbs.
- Slowly add water, mixing gently to make a soft dough. To maintain flakiness, do not knead the dough.
- Cover with a damp paper towel and let dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide dough into four equal parts and shape into smooth patties.
- Roll each patty into a 5 x 7 inch oval, using some oil if necessary, to keep dough from sticking.
- Cut each oval across in half ending with two 5 x 3 1/2 inch semi circles.
- Fold one half of cut straight side toward the middle, brush the edge with water.
- Fold in other cut edge overlapping 1/4 inch to form a cone.
- Press wet edges together.
- Pick up cone, hold in one hand as if you were holding an ice cream cone.
- Brush rounded edge with water.
- Fill cone with about 2 tablespoons of potato filling.
- Bring open edges together and press to close, forming a triangle.
- Set aside and cover with a damp paper towel.
- Repeat until all Samosas are made.
- Heat 2-3 cups oil on medium heat in an 8-9 inch frying pan.
- Oil should be at least one inch deep.
- Gently drop Samosas in hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown and crisp, 5-7 minutes (see notes)
- Drain on paper towels, transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with Mango Mint Chutney and Imli Sonth (Tamarind Chutney).