Chana Daal with Squash is one of my favorite Daal recipes and I make it often! You can use any one of the many squashes available but I like the taste of Bottle Gourd, also known as Opo squash or Ghiya or Lauki. Because of its mild taste, Lauki lets the Chana Daal flavor come through.
1 cup chana daal, washed and soaked for 2-3 hours
3 cups water
1 medium tomato, chopped, or 1/2 cup canned tomato
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 tbsps. butter/ghee/oil
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. turmeric
4 whole cloves
1 inch stick cinnamon
1 cardamom pod
1 tsp. salt
Fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- Melt butter in a 4 quart or larger saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add cumin seeds, stir until they start to pop.
- Add onions and sauté until transparent.
- Add garlic, ginger, and spices (if using Garam Masala, add it when Daal is cooked), stir.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, Daal and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until beans are soft to touch, approximately 45 minutes.
- Daal can be cooked in a pressure cooker for 5 minutes after the pressure is built or in a slow cooker for 4 hours on high setting.
- Add coriander and serve with rice and roti.
Copyright © Rashmi Rustagi 2012. All Rights Reserved.