This salad turns out perfect every time, looks so beautiful at the table, is nutritious and delicious! Even though it is called a salad, I serve it as a dessert sometimes!
I try to use the fruit in season so this recipe uses persimmons. You can use berries, pineapples, peaches or apples, using different flavors (and colors) of gelatin. You can substitute pistachios, sliced almonds or pecans for the walnuts or not use any nuts. It still tastes great.
2 cups chopped, ripe Fuyu persimmons
1 cup chopped, seeded oranges
1 box (6 oz.) sweetened orange flavored gelatin
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 lb. low fat, small curd cottage cheese
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
If you do not have a gelatin mold, use a Bundt cake pan, lined with plastic wrap. You can also chill the gelatin in a rectangular pan and cut in squares before serving.
- In a medium saucepan, cook persimmons until heated through, 3-4 minutes.
- Add oranges and cook, stirring for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add gelatin, stir until it melts.
- Take off the stove, add walnuts and cool.
- Fold in cottage cheese and whipped cream, pour into a gelatin mold and chill for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Enjoy!
Copyright © Rashmi Rustagi 2012. All Rights Reserved.