Stuffed Bell peppers always look so impressive at the table. There are many filling variations and one of my favorites is lamb. Once the filling is ready, the work is almost done because the peppers are baked in the oven and they come out perfect every time! You can prepare the filling a day or two ahead to stuff and bake peppers later.
1 tbsp. +1/2 tsp. oil
1 small onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
1/2 lb. ground lamb/mutton or beef
2 cloves garlic
1/2 inch cube ginger
1 tsp. salt
1 small potato, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
1 tbsp. Achaar Masala
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 medium carrot, diced (1/4 cup)
1 tsp. mango powder
2 medium sized or 3 small green bell peppers
2 tbsps. chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a medium skillet. Add onions and saute until golden.
- Add lamb, brown it, stirring to break all the lumps, drain any extra fat.
- Add salt and half cup of water, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, stir.
- Add potatoes, Achaar Masala and pepper flakes. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrots, mango powder and half the chopped mint. Stir, take off the stove and set aside.
- Rinse and wipe the peppers, cut them in half starting from the blossom end toward the stem end, carefully scraping the ribs.
- Brush remaining oil on the outside of the peppers. Divide lamb mixture into equal parts and stuff each pepper with the mix.
- Place in an oven proof tray, shaving the bottom if needed to keep peppers from rolling.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes until peppers start to brown.
- Garnish with remaining mint and serve.
Copyright © Rashmi Rustagi 2012. All Rights Reserved.