3 cups milk
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup roasted Seviyan or Indian vermicelli (see notes)
1/3 cup sugar
one pinch salt
pinch of saffron (optional)
3-4 drops kewra essence
1/4 cup raisins, chopped almonds, pistachios or chironji nuts (optional)
Seviyan are available regular and roasted. You can buy either kind but sometimes the roasted ones are not golden brown in color, toast them in a microwave for 1-2 minutes or in a frying pan to get the desired color.
For a creamier version, add Seviyan at the same time as milk and half-and-half.
- Heat milk and half-and-half in a heavy saucepan (see notes).
- When milk mixture comes to a boil (about 12 minutes), add Seviyan, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to keep Seviyan from sticking to the pan.
- Simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes.
- Add kewra (and nuts).
- Seviyan will continue to thicken as they cool.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Copyright © Rashmi Rustagi 2012. All Rights Reserved.