2 cups whole wheat flour (I use chapati flour from the Indian store)
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup + milk
1 Tbsp. ghee or oil
1 1/2 tsps. crushed fennel seeds
a pinch of salt
2 tsps. coconut powder or flakes (optional)
1 1/2 tsps. poppy seeds (optional)
a pinch of baking soda
2-3 cups of oil
- Mix all of the ingredients except baking soda in a mixing bowl or electric mixer and beat until well blended. The consistency should be thicker than pancake batter.
- Rest batter for 25-45 minutes at room temperature.
- Blend in baking soda.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. The oil should be at least one inch deep.
- Drop a teaspoon of batter in oil. If the oil is the right temperature (it should register 325 degrees on a frying thermometer), the batter will sizzle and stay rounded.
- Drop tablespoon size batter into the oil and fry for 3-4 minutes, turning over halfway through the frying until Gul Gula is evenly browned.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
Copyright © Rashmi Rustagi 2012. All Rights Reserved.