Many Indian recipes call for cooking or marinating with yogurt. There are some things to keep in mind when cooking with yogurt:
- Always use full fat yogurt, low fat yogurt can curdle with heat.
- You can substitute low fat sour cream for yogurt.
- Greek style, thick yogurt works well since it does not have the unwanted liquid.
- Beat the yogurt in a bowl so there are no lumps, before adding to the sauce or gravy.
- Have the yogurt at room temperature before adding to the hot gravy to keep from curdling. If the yogurt is cold, add a ladle of the hot sauce from your dish to the beaten yogurt to warm it before adding to the the dish.