3 tbsps. vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch cube ginger, minced
1 tbsp. Rashmi’s Blend
1 1/2 lbs. boneless pork shoulder blade roast, cubed into 3/4 inch pieces
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 tsps. brown sugar
4 tbsps. red vine vinegar
3/4 cup red wine
1 tbsp. Garam Masala
1 tsp. Kashmiri Chili powder (optional) (see note)
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves (optional)
Kashmiri Chilis are not very hot but impart a nice red color to the dish. You can use mild paprika instead. You can buy Rashmi’s Blend and Garam Masala on my shop page.
- Heat oil in a 4 or 6 quart pressure cooker pan on medium heat.
- Add onions and fry until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic and Rashmi’s Blend. Stir until spices turn fragrant, 15-20 seconds.
- Add pork, cayenne pepper, continue to stir until the meat is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar, vinegar, wine and Garam Masala, mix and cover with the pressure cooker lid.
- Lock the lid and wait until the pressure builds up.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes under pressure.
- Take the pan off the heat and wait for the pressure to die down completely (about 15 minutes) until the pressure indicator lowers.
- (If not using a pressure cooker, simmer covered on the stove until tender, about 40 minutes).
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice.
Copyright © Rashmi Rustagi 2013. All Rights Reserved.