This combination of potatoes and peas has a unique South Indian flavor that goes well with Dosas. This is a classic dish that is served as an option for stuffing Dosas (called Masala), with chutney on the side. I love the taste of crunchy peanuts so I always sprinkle some on mine, but that is optional.
3 medium potatoes
2 Tbsps. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
1-2 dried red chilies (optional)
10-12 fresh curry leaves
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. asafetida (optional)
1 cup sliced onions
1 cup fresh or frozen English peas
1 1/2 tsps. salt
1/4 roasted peanuts (optional)
- Boil the potatoes, peel and break into small, bite size pieces (about 3 cups).
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and chilies.
- When seeds start to pop, add curry leaves. Stir.
- Add turmeric and asafetida. Stir.
- Add the onions and sauce until transparent and starting to change color.
- Add peas and salt. Stir, add a couple of tablespoons of water, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes on low heat until peas are almost tender.
- Add potatoes, mix well, cover and cook on low heat until heated through, 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, sprinkle with peanuts and serve!